Monday 30 July 2012

Introducing the blanket charity project

It all started when my brother and sister asked me for money to raise funds for charity and I wanted to help. But I wanted to donate my time and skills as well. So following the example of Rosario Abriga, a non profit organisation in Rosario, Argentina, that makes baby blankets and garments to donate to hospitals and orphanages, I decided to launch the blanket charity project.

The idea is that using our crafting skills, sewing, crochet, knitting, etc we make baby blankets to donate to charitable organisations. At the moment, with the help of some lovely ladies, we are making blankets to take to Argentina’s “Manos en accion” (hands in action) community project. But my vision for this project is that no matter where you are you make a blanket, or two, or as many as you like, and donate it to a charitable organisation in your area! And send us pictures to post and encourage more people to do the same.

We started with the aim of 10 blankets by the end of October... but I am pleased to announce that (once I finish assembling one last set of crochet squares) we would have achieved 10 blankets! So keep them coming!!



Please don't forget to leave a comment in this post (or get in touch via Facebook or Twitter) if you want to get involved.


I am making crochet blankets out of Granny squares (step by step how to coming soon) with various bits of yarn that I bought or was donated.

Also I have had some help from my mother in law who kindly donated these squares. So, when I have enough to make a blanket and like the design it is then good to go and be assembled.

These are the two I made:



Granny squares in yellow (70cm x 100cm - 70 squares in total) with a green cotton yarn border.

And granny squares in three colours plus white border crochet all around the assembled squares in the same pattern (half width) finished measures are 70cm by 80cm.

I am also collecting in 3 weeks of another 7 quilts from Penny in the UK who is quickly going through a huge stash of fabric to get these blankets done! And have had the help from other friends who donated materials and squares, I will post those pictures once the blankets are ready.

Thank you so much to all of you that are working to prepare more donations... look forward to receiving them soon! Keep the good work!!

Nati xx

6 comments:

  1. Gracias por tomar esta maravillosa idea que tratamos de llevar a cabo y hacerla porpia! Se necesita mucha ayuda en todo el mundo y gente que se comprometa se necesita más!
    Gracias por tomar la semilla de Rosario abriga y ploantarla con amor en tu tierra, ahorta solo queda esperar que enrraice, crezca y de hermosos frutos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Lily's Quilts...Lovely work and what a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, came over from the Small Blog Meet. This looks a really interesting project, definitely something I'll be getting involved with at some point (only taught myself to crochet two weeks ago so a)a bit slow still and b)no wool stash! But these sort of blankets look manageable so I'll bookmark this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am working on a few tutorials for the blanket that hopefully will help! Make sure you let me know when you blanket is done and who you are giving it to! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on reaching your goal so quickly! I hope that you have great luck blowing it out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Great to have you visiting my blog and look forward to seeing much more of your lovely things as well!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you, please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...