Friday 8 March 2013

Puppy travelling kit

A few days ago I introduced the new member of my family to you all. Felipe has been playing and adapting to life with us just fine... but living in snowy cold Luxembourg means that mummy didn't want Felipe to get cold outside... so she made him a travelling kit.

A cushion for the car and its matching coat!



The cushion is a 50cm square pre-made filling. The only adaptation I did was to tie a knot in the middle of it... to make space for Felipe to curl arround it.


Then I simply made an envelope cover for it. The fabric I used measured 120cm by 50cm and I used 1cm (1/2 inch) seams.

And then I started making the coat. I found this tutorial on Pinterest. Unfortunately the link to the printable pattern didn't work... so I decided to try my own version of this pattern. You can dowload and print it here.

I made my pattern using an A4 sheet of paper, so if you print to 100% this will be perfect for a very small dog, bearing in mind that it fits my 4 months old Yorkie. But you can scale it in your printer and it should work for bigger (or smaller) dogs.

You will need:
- Pattern (link here)
- A fat quarter of the outer fabric (matching your travelling cushion)
- A fat quarter of fleece or any other warm fabric
- Batting (I used polyester batting as I expect to wash this quite a bit)
- 10cm (or even less) of velcro

Instructions

Step 1: Transfer the pattern to your fabric, note the pattern does not include seam allowance, so cut 1/2inch away from the mark. Cut outer and lining fabirc. Cut your batting to the pattern (without seam allowance).


Step 2: Put the outer and lining fabrics right sides together, pin and sew along the marked lines. Leave an opening at the bottom for turning inside out.


Step 3: Trim the seams and make small cuts along the curved lines, trim also the corners. Turn inside out.


Step 4: Insert the batting. You may need to help yourself with the back of a knitting needle, make sure the batting is straight. If desired add some pins, but the batting should fit tight and not shift.

Step 5: Sew along the border of the coat 1/4inch from the seam. When you get to the opening, make sure you fold the edges in and sew along closing the opening.


Step 6: Attach the Velcro to the collar and belly straps. Using the pattern as a guidance make a buttonhole 1/3 from the collar down in the back. This will be used to insert the lead if your dog uses a harness rather than a collar (like mine does), if your puppy wears a collar no need for this step.



And voilĂ , you have a warm and comfortable travelling kit for you puppy.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. He is so cute in his new coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you include his favorite toy in his travel kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is just so cute. I so want another little Yorkie I really miss Gracie Amelia a lot. She was my Yorkie for 15 years. The thing I don't miss are her frequent accidents in the last year or so of her 15 years with us. I really miss her, but Larry (DH) says we are too old for any more dogs and it's not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felipe looks VERY jaunty in his travel kit! Thanks for sharing with Friday Felicities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've inspired me again and just too cute for words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea and pupply looks so happy puppy! I will be making puppy beds myself soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...